Jan 7, 2011

friday finds - metronome


This week's find has so much to do with music. I am sure pianists and musicians would be familiar with this very useful and beautiful invention of the 19th century. 


Here is what I found this week - Vintage, all wood, mechanical Metronome with its original brass key!
I had been to a local antique show recently and came across a beautiful all wood instrument with a wind up mechanism. The sellers were a senior couple who patiently explained the functioning and use in detail. Thanks to them, I came to know about a very valuable instrument which has a prominent place in the world of music. I did not have my camera with me, so thought I'd share pictures from the www. :).


Name: Metronome
etymology: metron = measure, nomos = regulating
Usage:  by musicians to maintain a constant tempo while playing an instrument or vocal training. 





Brief History:
The mechanical metronome was invented by a Dutchman named Dietrich Winkle in the early 1800's. (like the one I saw). Metronomes were said to be used by well known composers including Beethoven

How it works:
A "Metronome" is a device used by musician for managing tempo. The instrument emits a 'tock-tock' type noise at regular intervals. These audible pulses happen at intervals are measured in Beats-per-Minute. The pendulum can be adjusted to varying tempos. (Tempo is most always measured in beats per minute (BPM); metronomes can be set to variable tempi, usually ranging from 40 to 208 BPM)

 I am sure people who play the piano must be familiar with this instrument in its modern form.


A vintage style electric metronome




I recommend this video if you wish to understand the use of metronome better :)



Don't forget to check with TDE for the giveaway annoucement...I hope to see you all participate :)

7 comments:

  1. I always learn something new on your friday finds series! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks G...thats generous of u to say

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wooden metronome is beautiful, but there's something about the vintage cream colored plastic one that I'm drawn to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great find...like i said i love the way your blog is...no changes reqd :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely finds!

    http://design-elements-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, this is like a Western Shruthi Petti I guess? My IQ expanded today- Thanks Sudha :)Not sure if I wished you already- Happy New Year! I am checking all my fave blogs after ages. So, getting up to date now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi divya
    shruthi petti is for the scale and this is for tempo basically...:)i too thgt of shruthi petti when i saw this :)..Thank you for the wishes and wishing you a very happy new year too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. You made my day!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.